Tuesday, October 5, 2010

State of the Neko address: week 33

song+ I Am- Christina Aguilera- Bionic
book+ Dark Elf codex
scent+ gummy bears!
quest+ getting Carina
upper+ napping is awesome
downer+ i am pitifully poor
attire+ work clothes
drink+ milk


(this is totally a day late- my bad. pretend it's from Monday night?)

this weekend was surprisingly productive for me, in spite of a lot more sleeping than is likely normal. xD Saturday i played my first Warhammer game. i didn’t win, but i lost by less than i expected to. after it was done i realized that we forgot to do some things we should have done, but being my learning game, it’s not a big deal. Sunday we got the office cleaned out and vaccuumed and moved the three desks that belong up there from the living room.

my books are now re-organized on their shelf. the piles that had built up are worked in with their brethren, and the duplicates (an unfortunate side effect of not having everything together for reference) have been put aside to be sold back here for credit. it makes more sense than any other solution, really. other things have been removed from the bookcase entirely so i should have enough space for the foreseeable future. or at least for the nest few months.

the other thing i did this weekend was carefully dis-assemble my codex and put the pages in sleeves in a binder. after reading it once pages were loosened, after playing one game they were coming out. i figured that this would be easy to flip through, and also that it’ll keep them from getting dog-eared or grimy. the whole thing was done with judicious application of force from the dull end of an exacto knife and pressure on the spine to reveal the glue. it looks very nice now and i have title dividers separating the sections i’ll need most often for ease in finding things.

after getting all that done i fully intended to work on painting more of my pieces, but Kyu reminded me we agreed to assemble the Dark Elf stuff that another player bought. he’s blind so really, we can assemble it all much easier than he can, but unfortunately he clipped all the pieces from the frames that they come in to keep them organized, so i spent a few hours last night sorting heads from torsos and shields and arms and any number of other things. i told Kyu i'll do the metal things and leave the plastic to him since it’s already all sorted and he’s the one that agreed to do it all. X.x there’s still 15-20 metal figures to go, but i can probably finish them tonight and get back to doing my stuff. xD

now that i've played a game i think rereading my (newly preserved) codex will help me know what i need to do next time to play right. (for example- i never did any psych tests for Witch Elf frenzy, oops. i also forgot all Dark Elf mages can summon more power dice for free.) it also gave me a better sense of how i need to paint some duplicate figures to show where their abilities differ. i also know i want to touch up the units that are already painted and get them sealed in the glossy varnish that my big pieces are done with. having them shiny doesn’t look bad and it keeps the paint job from chipping. since i'm working so long on all the details of the paint jobs it only makes sense to preserve it.

i've spent a lot of today thinking about the best changes i could make to my list though, to make it run smoother. i built it like i did to try out most of what’s available to me, and as a result it doesn’t run cohesively. this week i'll be removing the dud units and adding more magic casters. then when i can afford to i'll overhaul the whole thing, doubling my hydra, cauldron of blood, and witch elf numbers to start and likely dropping the warriors and possibly corsairs. if i switch my general from Morathi to Hellebron i lose the ability to fly from danger, but keep strong magic and get a better fighter. the magic is better actually since (depending on the gifts i give her) she’s enough cheaper that i can take a Supreme Sorceress too.

i suppose there’s not any benefit to speculating before i reread and know what’ll actually benefit me best. xD this week’s goals are (in order) getting Justin’s stuff assembled, cleaning the living room where the tables used to be, reading my codex, and reading the smaller version of the rulebook. i don’t need the fluff and history of the world to know how to play. we’ll see how much of it gets done though. the living room could take longer than we’re expecting it to, and if it does the rest will have to wait. xD

that’s stuff to worry about later, tonight is assembly and then painting! fortunately i've done the assembly before so it should go quickly, giving me plenty of time to devote to my own army. xD selfish, yeah, but i'm at least doing the helping first. especially since i wasn’t the one that actually agreed to help, Kyu roped me in when he didn’t know what all the pieces were, so i sorted it all for him.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I was going to say something smart like "don't you love it when they volunteer you for things" and then I realized that this is the sum total of Derek's life. I make 95% of our plans without even consulting him and just tell him where we will be, when and what else I might need from him.
Good for you for service. It makes you a better person!